U.S. drone strike carried out near Idlib, Syria on Dec. 3 may have caused civilian casualties

America executed a drone attack targeting a senior al-Qaeda figure on Dec. 3, though the attack may have resulted in civilian casualties, a U.S. Central Command spokesperson said in a statement, according to Fox News.

“U.S. forces conducted a kinetic strike near Idlib, Syria, December 3, targeting a senior al-Qaeda leader and planner,” CENTCOM spokesperson Captain Bill Urban noted in a statement, according to the outlet. “The strike was conducted using a precision strike method from MQ-9 aircraft.”

He noted an “initial review of this strike [indicated] the potential for possible civilian casualties.”

An investigation will be conducted into the matter, he said.

“We abhor the loss of innocent life and take all possible measures to prevent them. The possibility of a civilian casualty was immediately self-reported to U.S. Central Command. We are initiating a full investigation of the allegations and will release the results when appropriate,” Urban noted, according to the outlet.

Earlier this year, the U.S. carried out a drone strike in Afghanistan that left 10 civilians dead, including 7 children.

According to Air Force Lt. Gen. Sami D. Said, it turned out that the vehicle targeted in that Aug. 29 attack did not pose a threat to American forces.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.